Welcome to Russian Recording
Professional recording studio in the heart of Bloomington, IN.
A warm and friendly space suited for music of any style.
March 26, 2014
Although the studio has technically been open for the past two years, Russian Recording has sort of been on hiatus. Mike's cat got super famous and it took over his life - in a good way. But he's finally found some time to put into the studio, and has recently upgraded with a whole crap load of awesome new gear (mics, A/D converters, preamps, EQs, compressors), installed ProTools, hired a new engineer, Max Mullen, and they are stoked about making records again.
Expect a much more detailed update in the coming weeks. And/or sign up for the newsletter: http://eepurl.com/jPphT
GOOD JOB RUSSIAN RECORDING
March 9, 2012
After more than two years in the making, the new Russian Recording website is finally online. We couldn't be happier with how it turned out, and it was well worth the wait. We would like to thank Lane Fujita for his hard work, the insane hours he's put into the site and of course for the amazing ideas and overall design. This is all his work, he's a total badass.
Be sure to check out the updated Audio Page, we've uploaded over 70 new tracks which are now organized by musical style to make it easier to hear our work in the style that interests you or best fits your own musical taste. The new tour page has beautiful photos (by William Winchester Claytor) and detailed descriptions of our facilities. Our gear page has been updated with all of our newest additions (listed below), and we've also added a Space Rental section to our Rates page if you're interested in renting out the studio for an event.
Mike Stucker of Wolfgang Michael Sound has been working on modifying and updating our recently acquired Sphere Eclipse Alpha Series II console. He's added an inline monitor path to the board, recapped every card and EQ, added more routing flexibility, new switches and pots, installed custom engraved face plates for all the new features and cleaned up the signal path. He will also be installing all new faders, polarity reversal on every channel and new phantom power switches in the near future. The new modifications and improvements have made this amazing sounding console a real pleasure to work on, considerably more reliable and more conducive to the workflow of a modern recording session.
We've also added some pretty amazing new gear to our racks, mic cabinet and instrument/amp collection. Some of our newly acquired pieces include the Thermionic Culture Phoenix variable-mu valve compressor, a Tonelux Equalux equalizer, a KUSH Audio Clariphonic parallel equalizer, a Manley ELOP limiter, UBK Fatso compressor, the Electrical Audio EAPre 2 channel microphone preamp, a stereo pair of Coles 4038 ribbon microphones, a pair of Beyer M160 ribbon microphones, an Earth 59 Bassman copy combo, and several other amps and instruments. For a complete list of our equipment selection, check out our Gear page.
We've got a new guy working at the studio now. He goes by Mike Kapinus because that's his real name. Mike is available for hire as a session engineer and also runs the PA at our events. Mike has played with many local and touring bands including Magnolia Electric Co, Throwing Stars, Whippoorwill, The Hollows and surely a whole bunch of others. He also sings opera and in choirs and stuff, and is an amazing multi-instrumentalist. He's done live sound all over town for years and now he's doing it here. Let us know if you would like to book a session with this super cool dude.
February 15, 2012
In the past year we've been honored to have worked on a handful of great records from local, regional and national artists. Here are some of the records that we worked on that have either come out or been completed since our last update in 2011:
• Release The Sunbird - "Come Back To Us" LP (Brushfire Records) - recorded
• Release The Sunbird - "Imaginary Summer" EP (Brushfire Records) -recorded
• Murder By Death - "Split w/The Builders and The Butchers" 7in EP - recorded, mixed
• Murder By Death - "Come As You Are: A 20th Anniversary Tribute To Nirvana's Nevermind" CD Compilation - recorded, mixed (Lounge Act)
• Tig Notaro - "Good One" LP (Secretly Canadian) - recorded, mixed, mastered
• Good Luck - "Without Hesitation" LP (No Idea Records) - recorded, mixed
• High Dive - "High Dive" LP (No Idea Records) - recorded, mixed, mastered
• Parlor -"s/t" LP (Let's Pretend Records) - recorded, mixed
• The Open Sex - "(is not a cult)" Cassette (Auris Apothecary) - recorded, mixed
• Memory Map - "Holiday Band" LP (Joyful Noise Recordings) - recorded, mixed, mastered
• Memory Map - "Yamato-damashi" EP (Joyful Noise Recordings) - recorded, mixed
• Tammar - "Visits" LP (Suicide Squeeze) - recorded
• Jookabox - "Eyes of the Fly" LP (Asthmatic Kitty) - recorded
• EDM (Early Day Miners) - "Night People" LP (Western Vinyl) - recorded, mixed
• Elephant Micah - "Louder Than Though" LP - mixed, mastered
• Brett Eugene Ralph's Kentucky Chrome Revue - "In a Human Body" LP - recorded, mixed
• Natives - "Natives" EP - recorded, mixed
• Destroy This Place - "Resurrect the Mammoth" LP - recorded, mixed
• The Hollows - "Sweetie" - recorded, mixed, mastered
• Dreamers of the Ghetto - "Enemy/Lover" LP (Temporary Residence) - recorded
• Sleeping Bag - "Sleeping Bag" LP (Joyful Noise Recordings) - recorded, mixed (SLIME), mastered
• Fat Shadow - "Foot of Love" LP (Houseplant Records) - recorded, mixed, mastered
• Pink Houses - "10in split w/Snarlas" EP - recorded, mixed, mastered
• Calumet Reel - "The Calumet Reel" LP - recorded, mixed
• She Does Is Magic - "S/T" (Flannelgraph Records) LP - mixed, mastered
• Very Happy - "All the Times" EP - recorded, mixed, mastered
• Sitar Outreach Ministry - "S/T" LP - mixed
• Traveling - "End of the Summer" (No Idea Records) 7in EP - recorded, mixed, mastered
• Snaarj - "Levels" LP - recorded, mixed, mastered
• Beaker - "S/T" LP - recorded, mixed, mastered
• Man Forever - "Man Forever" LP (St. Ives Records) - recorded, mixed
CURRENT AND UPCOMING PROJECTS
We are looking forward to our upcoming and current projects including:
• Recording and producing the new Sleeping Bag LP
• Recording and producing a new record with Cleveland's American Werewolves (the first band to have recorded at RR back in 2003)
• New record with Carbondale, IL's Skinny Jim and the Number 9 Blacktops
• Mastering the Apache Dropout CD re-issue (with live recording from RR) and their new LP of old recordings "Magnetic Heads"
• Finishing up the Pirate Flags album
• Finishing up the new Memory Map LP
• Continuing work on a new EP and LP with Cincinnati's The Weakness
• Completing tracking and mixing with Fourth Wife
• Recording and mixing a new The Open Sex LP
• Continued work on a new album from The Just
• Mixing the first Ancient Slang EP
If you are interested in bringing your recording project here for tracking, mixing, mastering or all of the above, we'd be happy to talk about your specific needs and answer any questions you might have.